AUTUMNFEST HAS BEEN CANCELLED
***If you are registered 5K runner, you will be offered a credit for your race fee for next year or a refund check. Credit is good for one year for race or any other Recreation Department program, activity or athletic: Please email Chris Wiley with your request for a refund or a credit at [email protected] Questions: Chris Wiley at 910- 692-2463. MUST RESPOND BY OCTOBER 16 IMPORTANT: Include your current mailing address with response.***
Fall favorite, Autumnfest, joins Sandhills Race on Saturday, October 3. The race kicks off a day of activities in downtown Southern Pines.
The 5k begins at 9:00 am. The course winds through downtown Southern Pines. There will also be a 1 mile fun run and kids races for children aged 3-12. The fun run and children’s races are free to the public. The 1 mile fun run begins at 10:00 am and the kids foot races begin at 10:30 am.
Tips from SR
- Register on-line
- Registration for the kids foot races will be open Saturday, October 3 until 10:00 am
- Packet pick-up will be held on Friday, October 2 from 5:30 pm until 6:30 pm (145 SE Broad Street, Southern Pines, NC 28387) and on Saturday, October 3 from 7:30 am until 8:30 am.
Fall is all about changing colors and what better way to celebrate than a color run! The second annual St. Joseph of the Pines Alzheimer’s Color Your World Run joins Sandhills Race this fall on Saturday, September 19. The race begins at 4:30 pm at St. John Paul II Catholic School (2922 Camp Easter Road, Southern Pines, NC 28387).
The race benefits the Alzheimer’s Association. Participants will be offered a white shirt at the race that will be splattered with color throughout the 5k run/walk. After the race there will be a cookout at Belle Meade Wellness Park beginning at 5:30 pm. Pets are welcome and strollers are permitted, however, the terrain is varied.
Tips from SR
- On-line registration is available, registration includes tee-shirt, race packet, race, and cookout
- There will be a cookout after the race for participants, the fee for each guest will be $15
- On-site registration begins at 4:00 pm on Saturday, September 19
Get the fireworks started early with the Pinecrest Patriot 5k on Saturday, July 4. The race benefits Boys and Girls Clubs of the Sandhills and the running programs at Pinecrest High School.
The 5k kicks off at 7:30 am outside of Pinecrest High School (250 Voit Gilmore Lane, Southern Pines, NC 28387). A map of the 5k course is available. The 1 Mile Fun run will begin at 8:30 am.
Tips from SRS
- Packet pick-up will be held Friday, July 3 at Dick’s Sporting Goods (11109 15/501 Suite A, Center Park Shopping Center, Aberdeen, NC 28315) from 11:00 am until 7:00 pm. Race day packet pick-up will be held Saturday, July 4 at Pinecrest High School from 6:00 am until 7:00 am
- The 5k begins and ends at Pinecrest High School
- On-line registration is available; paper registration is available as well
Have a blast at the Pinecrest Patriot 5k on Saturday, July 4!
In just under one week the Dusk to Dawn 50 miler will be a part of the Adventure Series for SRS. The race will be held on Saturday, June 27 beginning at 7:00 pm. The event concludes at 8:00 am on Sunday, June 28.
The Dusk to Dawn 50 miler will begin at the intersection of East Connecticut Avenue and Fort Bragg Road in Southern Pines. There will be rotating aid stations throughout the course. Runners are required to have head lamps and wear reflective materials, there will be no lights on the course. The course will be run on asphalt. Participants must have a hydration device as well.
In order to participate, runners must have completed a 50k in the past six months, or a 50 miler in the past year.
Tips from SRS
- Registration can be found here
- All runners must have head lamps and wear reflective gear
- Aid stations will rotate along the course every five miles
This event is part of the Adventure Series for the Sandhills Race Series
Mardi Gras Miles returned for another year to kick off the 2015 Spring Series, but this year there was a new course for runners to explore. The new course was a mix of trail and road winding through the campus of Pope John Paul II Catholic School and St. Joseph of the Pines. Runners from age six to 76 came out and enjoyed the crisp running weather.
The 5k began at 9:30, the overall winner of the 5k was Justin Seimet of Fayetteville with a time of 19:51, Robyn Humphrey won the overall female 5k with a time of 20:12. After the 5k there was a Kids Run for the Beads in which participants ran laps over an allotted time and were awarded a strand of beads for every lap completed.
A full list of results for the Mardi Gras Miles can be found here.
The month of March brings two races to the 2015 Spring Series, the Shamrock ‘N’ Roll on March 14, and the All-American Marathon on March 22nd. Registration for these races can be found here.
The 2015 Spring Series officially begins on Saturday, February 14 with the Mardi Gras Miles. This year there will be a new course for participants that passes through St. Joseph of the Pines and the campus of St. John Paul II Catholic School (2922 Camp Easter Road, Southern Pines, NC 28327). Mardi Gras Miles is a pet friendly event (dogs must be on a leash) and childcare will be available for those who need it during the event. The course is comprised of both road and trail.
The 5k will begin at 9:30 am at St. John Paul II Catholic School (2922 Camp Easter Road, Southern Pines, NC 28327). Prizes will be awarded to age group winners beginning at 11:00 am.
An annual favorite, the Kids Run for the Beads will feature two heats, a ten minute run for those aged seven and under, and a 15 minute run for those aged eight and above. A string of beads will be awarded for each lap run during the allotted time. This event will begin at 10:30 am for the younger runners and at 10:50 am for the older runners.
There will also be prizes given for the best costume and for the best mask. Prizes will be awarded at 11:00 am.
Mardi Gras Miles benefits the athletic and physical educational programs of St. John Paul II Catholic School.
Tips from SRS
- On-line registration is available here
- Childcare will be available for participants, the fee will be $5.00 and childcare will be provided by eighth grade students and parent volunteers, the childcare fee will benefit the eighth grade legacy gift at St. John Paul II Catholic School
- This event is pet friendly (dogs must be on a leash)
- Packet Pick-up will take place Friday, March 13 from 6:00 pm until 8:00 pm at St. John Paul II Catholic School, and from 8:00 am until 9:15 am at St. John Paul II Catholic School on race day Saturday, February 14
Bring your beads and show some love at this year’s Mardi Gras Miles!
Start November on the right track with the Run to be Drug Free on Saturday, November 1st at Pinecrest High School (250 Voit Gilmore Lane, Southern Pines, NC 28387). The Run to be Drug Free benefits Sandhills Teen Challenge.
The 5k race begins and ends at the driveway of Pinecrest High Schools and winds around a closed course. Roads will be closed from 8:30 am until 10:30 am. The 1 Mile Fun Run will begin at 9:00 and the 5k at 9:30. An awards ceremony will follow the race and live music will be provided.
Tips from SRS
- Register on-line here. Race day registration will be available at Pinecrest High School on Saturday, November 1 from 8:00 am until 9:00 am
- Packet pick-up will be available Saturday, November 1 from 8:00 am until 9:00 am at Pinecrest High School
This will the the 3rd Annual Run to be Drug Free. SRS looks forward to seeing you there.
MANNA in Motion joined the 2014 Fall Series of the SRS on Saturday, October 11. The race was held at St. John Paul 2 Catholic School and ran through the grounds of St. Joseph of the Pines. MANNA is a ministry that provides lunches for needy residents of Moore County.
Geoffrey Washburn won the overall 5k race with a chip time of 16:16. Geoffrey Washburn has won all of the 2014 Fall Series races. Robyn Humphrey won the overall female 5k with a chip time of 21:08. St. John Paul 2 Middle won the overall team awards with a 5k time of 21:46. For full results click here.
SRS is hosting a meet-up at Reservoir Park in Southern Pines on Saturday, October 18. We will do a lap around the lake and then have time to meet each other after. SRS will recognize 2014 Spring Series winners and 2014 Summer Series Participants.
MANNA in Motion joins the 2014 Fall Series for SRS on Saturday, October 11. MANNA is a free lunch ministry that provides 500 free lunches to the needy in Moore County.
The 5k race begins at 9:00 am at St. John Paul 2 Catholic School (2922 Camp Easter Road, Southern Pines, NC 28387). The race runs through the beautiful grounds of St. Joseph of the Pines and concludes at St. John Paul 2 Catholic School. There will be post race refreshments starting at 9:20 am. The awards ceremony will begin at 9:45 am. Runners may race in teams. This is a trail race
Tips from SRS
- Register on-line here. Race day registration and packet pick-up will be available at 7:30 am at St. John Paul 2 Catholic School (concession stand)
- You may pre-register at the MANNA office on Friday, October 10 from 5:00 pm -7:00 pm (211 Trimble Plant Road Suite B, Southern Pines, NC 28387)
- This is a closed course race with minor traffic on Waters Drive
SRS welcomes MANNA in Motion to its Fall Series line-up!
The 36th Annual Autumnfest was held on Saturday, October 4 in downtown Southern Pines. The feel of Autumn was in the air with perfect running weather. Over 250 participants showed up for the 5k and 1 Mile Fun Run. After the race there was an arts and crafts festival to enjoy, a kids bounce house, and a juggler to watch.
Geoffrey Washburn won the overall 5k with a chip time of 16:58.Geoffrey also won the 1 in 8k, the first Fall Series Race of 2014. Tegan Searle won the overall 5k for females with a chip time of 19:26. The course centered around downtown Southern Pines with gentle uphill slopes and downhill grades. For an updated list of all results click here.
The next race in the 2014 Fall Series will be MANNA in Motion on Saturday, October 11.