CARA’s annual race will be held on Saturday, August 29 at the Kiwanis Park in Sanford. This race benefits Carolina Animal Rescue and Adoption. The event features a 10k, and a 5k,and is pet friendly.
The race begins at Kiwanis Park and winds through the Greenway and historic Sanford. The 10k race kicks off the event at 8:00 am, followed by the 5k at 8:15 am. Maps of the 10k and 5k are available. An awards ceremony will be held after the race beginning at 9:30 am.
Tips from SRS
- Register on-line
- Packet pick-up will be held on Friday, August 27 from 5:00 pm until 7:00 pm. (1800 Wicker Street, Sanford, NC 27330)
- Race day registration is available from 6:30 am until 7:45 am, packet pick-up is available at this time as well
CARA: Run for their Lives, the final race in the SRS Summer Series, will be held Saturday, August 23. This race helps fund the Carolina Animal Rescue and Adoption organization.
This event includes a 10k race and a 5k race. The 10k race begins at 8:00 am at Kiwanis Park in Sanford (1800 Wicker Street, Sanford, NC 27330). The course begins at the park, runs through historic downtown Sanford, along the greenway and ends back at the park. The route can be found here. Strollers and dogs are welcome, walkers are not permitted in the 10k. The 5k begins at 8:15 am at Kiwanis Park, winds through historic downtown Sanford, and ends back at the park, a map can be found here. Strollers, walkers, and dogs are welcome.
An awards ceremony will be held at 9:30 am. Prizes and medals will be awarded to overall winners, medals to age group winners, as well as the first dog to cross the finish line. The post race party will also include music, raffles, a dog wash, park fun for the children,and the opportunity to adopt a pet.
Tips from the SRS
- On-line registration ends at 11:59 pm on Wednesday, August 20. Register on-line here. Paper registration can be found here. Registration includes a tee shirt for human participants, a bandanna for pet participants, a raffle ticket, and chip timing. Race day registration will be held at Kiwanis Park from 6:30 am until 7:45 am.
- Packet pick-up will be on Friday, August 22 at Kiwanis Park from 5:00 pm until 7:00 pm and on the day of the race, Saturday, August 23, from 6:30 am until 7:45 am.
This race marks the end of the first Summer Series for Sandhills Race Series. Stay tuned for information about the 2014 Fall Series!
To kick off the Fall Series, join us for CARA’s Run For Their Lives on Saturday, August 24th. The race will be held in Kiwanis Park, located at 1800 Wicker Street in Sanford, and is a fundraiser for Carolina Animal Rescue & Adoption (CARA), who provides care for homeless dogs and cats until they can find a loving forever home.
This is a SRS bonus event. Canine racers are allowed to participate, as long as they have been vaccinated and remain on a leash. The race has a beautiful course which winds through Kiwanis Park and Sanford’s Greenway, as well as into the Historic (hilly!) neighborhoods of Sanford.
Early packet pick-up will be held on Friday evening at Kiwanis Park from 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm.
Race day schedule is as follows:
6:30 am – day-of registration and packet pick-up begins
8:00 am -10k race begins
8:15 am – 5k race begins
9:30 am – awards ceremony
10:00 am – dog competitions (best kisser, etc)
Family Festival will be held 9:00 am – 2:00 pm in Kiwanis Park!
Tips from SRS
- A few tips about registration:
- Registration can be found online at SPORToften or in hard copy here.
- It includes a t-shirt for human runners, bandana for canine runners, raffle ticket, and chip timing.
- To secure a t-shirt and a bandana, register before August 14th.
- This will also save you $5. Registration before August 14th will cost $25, while registration after will cost $30.
- If you’d prefer a dri-wick athletic shirt to the traditional cotton t-shirt, add $8 to your registration cost.
- Note that online registration closes August 22nd.
- If you are a walker, sign up for the 5k as CARA would appreciate no walkers on the 10k course.
- Strollers and well-prepared dogs are allowed in both 5k and 10k events.
- Don’t miss the festival after the race, including food, crafts, music, and contests for dogs! Categories include Best Kisser, Trickiest Dog, and Look-Alike Champion!
CARA’s Run For Their Lives is going to be a great morning of fun for the whole family, including the four-legged members! Join us to welcome back SRS after a hot summer and to support CARA.
Find out more information about this event and organization here.