The Uwharrie 100 Trail Run will be held on Saturday, October 24. The run will begin at 6:00 am on Saturday and conclude at 2:00 pm on Sunday, October 25.
The Uwharrie National Forest will be the site of this trail run, he Wood Run Trail Head (4580 NC 27, Uwharrie National Forest, Troy, NC 27371) marks the beginning of the 20.5 mile single track course. To complete the 100 mile run participants will complete five of the 20.5 mile loops, those in the 100k will complete three loops. The course is a technically difficult course, there will be aid stations set at mile 6, 11.5, 15 and 20.5 of the single loop track. The 100 mile and 100k race will have a 36 hour time limit.
Tips from SR
- Packet pick-up for the event will be held at the Best Western in Albemarle, NC (2300 US Hwy 52 N, Albemarle, NC 28001) on Friday, October 23 from 1:00-9:00 pm. Race day packet pick-up will be from 4:30 am-5:30 am at the start line
For runners looking for a challenge look no further than the Dia De Los Muertos 24 Hour Endurance Run. This event will be held on Saturday, October 24 beginning at 1 pm. The course is a .59 mile loop course around the baseball fields in Lillington (405 S. 1st Street, Lillington, NC). This race benefits the Buddy Back pack program of Harnett County.
The race is a looped course and runners are encourage to run for as long as they are able. There will be aid and water stations throughout the event.
Tips from SR
July 4th brings a bonus race to the summer SRS series, the 34th Annual Lumbee Homecoming Pembrooke Kiwanis Club 5k. The race begins at the Southeastern Fitness Center (923 West Third Street, Pembrooke, NC 28372) at 7:15 am. The race is held in honor of Dr. Johnny Hunt, Superintendent for the Public Schools of Robeson County.
The race features a 5k that begins at 7:15 am and is followed by a 1 mile fun walk. The fun walk is free to participants. This event is part of a weekend of homecoming events. The event schedule can be found here.
Tips from SRS
- Race day registration is available on July 4th from 5:30 am until 6:45 am. The fee is 20.00.
In just under one week the Dusk to Dawn 50 miler will be a part of the Adventure Series for SRS. The race will be held on Saturday, June 27 beginning at 7:00 pm. The event concludes at 8:00 am on Sunday, June 28.
The Dusk to Dawn 50 miler will begin at the intersection of East Connecticut Avenue and Fort Bragg Road in Southern Pines. There will be rotating aid stations throughout the course. Runners are required to have head lamps and wear reflective materials, there will be no lights on the course. The course will be run on asphalt. Participants must have a hydration device as well.
In order to participate, runners must have completed a 50k in the past six months, or a 50 miler in the past year.
Tips from SRS
- Registration can be found here
- All runners must have head lamps and wear reflective gear
- Aid stations will rotate along the course every five miles
This event is part of the Adventure Series for the Sandhills Race Series
The SRS kicks off its Summer Series with a bonus race, the DAV Run, a 5k that begins outside of the Veteran’s Memorial in Carthage. The race will be held on Saturday, June 6. The 5k run kicks off at 8:00 am. The race benefits the Moore County Chapter DAV.
Tips from SRS
- Packet pick-up will be held Friday, June 5th at FirstHealth (170 Memorial Drive, Pinehurst, NC 28374) from 5:00 pm until 8:00 pm and on Saturday, June 6th at the registration booth outside of the Veteran’s Memorial (707 Pinehurst Ave, Carthage, NC 283287) at 7:00 am.
- Registration form
- On-line registration
Kick off the Summer with SRS!
If you are looking for a chance to earn extra bonus points for the 2014 Spring Series consider running the Rattler Trail Run. This adventure series event will be held at San Lee Park in Sanford (572 Pumping Station Run, Sanford, NC 27330) on Saturday, May 24.
The Rattler Trail Run half marathon and marathon course will be a combination of San Lee Park’s mountain bike trail, Muir Nature Trail, and Thoreau Lake Trail. This will be a challenging course with ascents and descents and rocks and roots so be careful to watch your footing. The race will begin at 9:00 am. All participants who complete the race will receive finisher medals; food will also be available.
Tips from SRS
- On-line registration closes Thursday, May 22 at 12:00 am, the registration fee for the half marathon is $45, the registration fee for the marathon is $65. Online registration can be found here.
- Packet pick up will be at San Lee Park (572 Pumping Station Road, Sanford NC 27330) beginning at 8:00 am with the opening of the park
- Bonus points will be awarded for this event
Come out to San Lee Park and enjoy a scenic race. For more information about the Rattler Trail Run click here.
Downtown Lumberton hosted its annual Rumba on the Lumber on March 1. There were 287 participants in the 5k. Other events for the weekend included a Family Fun Mile, a chili cook-off, a bike ride, an arts show and a kid’s zone.
Jack Brunecz of Fayetteville won the overall male 5k with a time of 16:20 and Desiree Walker of Lumberton won the overall female 5k with a time of 21:27. Winners of the Masters category were Bradley Schull of Holly Springs with a time of 19:44 and Janine Wren of Lumberton with a time of 25:05. The male winner of the Grand Master category was Gary Moss of Raleigh with a time of 20:24 and the female winner was Susan West of Myrtle Beach, SC with a time of 25:39. Cash prizes were awarded to overall winners in the 5k and winners in the Masters and Grand Masters categories.
Members of the Sandhills Race Series did well in the Rumba on the Lumber 5k. Jason Parker of Aberdeen placed second place in his age group with a time of 22:25. Joanne Mitake of Southern Pines won first place in her age group with a time of 30:13 and William Mitake of Southern Pines placed second in his age group with a time of 27:12.
Race Results may be found here.
Make plans to come out next year for another family friendly Rumba on the Lumber in downtown Lumberton.
The fourth annual Rumba on the Lumber will be the first bonus race of the 2014 Spring Series for Sandhills Race Series. The event takes place in downtown Lumberton (4th and Chestnut Streets, Lumberton, NC 28358). Rumba on the Lumber benefits Rediscover Lumberton Inc.
Rumba on the Lumber begins with the Southeastern Health Family Fun Mile, a free family friendly event, at 10 am. Last year around 1,000 children ran in the Family Fun Mile.
The Southeastern Health 5k will begin at 11 am. The course begins in downtown Lumberton, runs past historic homes and tree-lined streets, follows the Lumbee River, and finishes at the plaza in downtown Lumberton.
All runners will receive tee-shirts and awards that are original pieces of artwork. There will be prize money given out to the top three male and female finishers in the open, masters, and grand masters divisions. After the race, there will be free entry to the Bud Light Chili Cook-off for those who ran the 5k.
The Rumba on the Lumber is part of an all-day event in downtown Lumberton. After the 5k there will be a Bud Light Chili Cook-off and a Free Lumbee River EMC Kid Zone that includes a rock wall, face painting, contests and prizes. There will also be an art festival from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm (3rd and Water Street). Music and entertainment will be provided by the Carolina Breakers Band. This event is not pet friendly.
Tips from SRS
- You may register for the 5k on-line here. On-line registration ends Friday, February 28. You may also register the day of the event from 8:30 am until 10:45 am at Candy Sue’s restaurant (111 W. 3rd Street, Lumberton, NC 28358). You may print out a registration form here.
- The Family Fun Mile is free; you may register the day of the race at Candy Sue’s restaurant from 8:30 am until 9:45 am. There will be free tee-shirts given to the first 300 K-8 students that register.
- The registration fee for Roberson Road Runners is $25 for the 5k, for non-Roberson Road Runners the 5k entry fee is $30.
- Packet pick-up will be from 9:00 am until 10:45 am.
The Rumba on the Lumber is a bonus event for Sandhills Race Series. For more information click here.
The Old Glory Trail Trot was held on Sunday, November 17 at the Old Glory Legacy Foundation Ranch (180 Bowman Road Aberdeen, NC 28315). The race began at 5:00 am with the 50 miler. There were a combined 145 runners who ran the 50 miler, 50k, and 10 miler. Six relay teams competed in the 50 mile relay event.
Connie Gardner, 50, was the overall winner of the 50 mile run clocking in at a time of 10 hours and nine minutes. The winner of the 50k run was 17-year-old Mitchell Dudley with a time of four hours and 43 minutes. Relay team Xx Got the Runs finished in first place in the 50 mile relay with a time of seven hours and 10 minutes. Dustin Siddle, 28, won the 10 miler with a finishing time of one hour and 19 minutes.
Full race results can be found here and race results by age group can be found here. The Old Glory Trail Trot was the first race in the Adventure Series of the Sandhills Race Series.
Photo Courtesy of Jacqueline Hurd
An inaugural race for the Adventure Series of the Sandhills Race Series, the Old Glory Trail Trot will be held on Sunday, November 17. The 50 miler will begin at 5:00 am, followed by the 50k at 6:00 am, the 50 mile relay at 7:00 am, and the 10 miler at 8:00 am. The event will take place at the Old Glory Legacy Foundation Ranch (180 Bowman Road Aberdeen, NC 28315) and benefits the Old Glory Legacy Foundation. The Old Glory Legacy Foundation brings soldiers and their families together to build strong family relationships and lasting memories through outdoor activities.
The Old Glory Trail Trot is the first race of its kind for the Sandhills Race Series. The course is a 10 mile loop composed of paved roads, grass, and trail. Check out the course map here. Military registration fees are as follows: 50 miler $95, 50 km $70, 50 mile relay $275 (teams of two to five people), and 10 miler $40. Civilian registration fees are as follows: 50 miler $105, 50km $85, 50 mile relay $300 (teams of two to five people), and 10 miler $45. Finishers will receive a custom Old Glory Trail Trot medal. Overall winners and age group winners will receive custom designed awards.
Tips from the SRS
- You can register for the 50 miler, 50k, and the 50 mile relay by visiting Ultra Events and you can register for the 10 mile event by visiting Active.com.
- Online registration for the 50 miler, 50k, and 50 mile relay closes Thursday, November 14 at 12:00 am and for the 10 miler on Friday, November 15 at 2:59 am. Onsite registration will take place at 4:30 am on Sunday, November 17 if slots are still available.
- Packet pick-up will be on Friday, November 15 from 10:00 am until 7:00 pm and on Saturday, November 16 from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm at the NutriShop in Southern Pines, NC (10725 Hwy 15-501, Suite E Southern Pines, NC 28387). A photo ID is needed for packet pick-up. If unable to pick-up before the race packets can be picked up at the ranch if coordinated beforehand.
The Sandhills Race Series is excited have the Old Glory Trail Trot as part of its Adventure Series. To learn more about the Old Glory Trail Trot click here.