Fall is in full swing with the 35th annual Turkey Trot on Saturday, November 21 in Pinehurst. The race begins outside Cannon Park (90 Woods Road, Pinehurst, NC) and winds through historic downtown Pinehurst and the beautiful neighborhoods of St. Andrew’s Drive.
The Turkey Trot begins at 8:30 am with the one mile fun run. The Half Marathon will kick off at 9:00 am, followed by the 10k at 9:15 am, and the 5k at 9:30 am. The race benefits the Foundation of FirstHealth. This event is stroller friendly.
Maps are available for the Half Marathon, 10k, 5k , and 1 Mile Fun Run for training purposes.
Tips from SR
- Packet pick-up will take place at Cannon Park on Friday, November 20 from 5:00 pm until 7:00 pm and on Saturday, November 21 from 7:00 am until 8:30 am.
- On-line registration is available
AUTUMNFEST HAS BEEN CANCELLED
***If you are registered 5K runner, you will be offered a credit for your race fee for next year or a refund check. Credit is good for one year for race or any other Recreation Department program, activity or athletic: Please email Chris Wiley with your request for a refund or a credit at [email protected] Questions: Chris Wiley at 910- 692-2463. MUST RESPOND BY OCTOBER 16 IMPORTANT: Include your current mailing address with response.***
Fall favorite, Autumnfest, joins Sandhills Race on Saturday, October 3. The race kicks off a day of activities in downtown Southern Pines.
The 5k begins at 9:00 am. The course winds through downtown Southern Pines. There will also be a 1 mile fun run and kids races for children aged 3-12. The fun run and children’s races are free to the public. The 1 mile fun run begins at 10:00 am and the kids foot races begin at 10:30 am.
Tips from SR
- Register on-line
- Registration for the kids foot races will be open Saturday, October 3 until 10:00 am
- Packet pick-up will be held on Friday, October 2 from 5:30 pm until 6:30 pm (145 SE Broad Street, Southern Pines, NC 28387) and on Saturday, October 3 from 7:30 am until 8:30 am.
July 4th brings a bonus race to the summer SRS series, the 34th Annual Lumbee Homecoming Pembrooke Kiwanis Club 5k. The race begins at the Southeastern Fitness Center (923 West Third Street, Pembrooke, NC 28372) at 7:15 am. The race is held in honor of Dr. Johnny Hunt, Superintendent for the Public Schools of Robeson County.
The race features a 5k that begins at 7:15 am and is followed by a 1 mile fun walk. The fun walk is free to participants. This event is part of a weekend of homecoming events. The event schedule can be found here.
Tips from SRS
- Race day registration is available on July 4th from 5:30 am until 6:45 am. The fee is 20.00.
Get the fireworks started early with the Pinecrest Patriot 5k on Saturday, July 4. The race benefits Boys and Girls Clubs of the Sandhills and the running programs at Pinecrest High School.
The 5k kicks off at 7:30 am outside of Pinecrest High School (250 Voit Gilmore Lane, Southern Pines, NC 28387). A map of the 5k course is available. The 1 Mile Fun run will begin at 8:30 am.
Tips from SRS
- Packet pick-up will be held Friday, July 3 at Dick’s Sporting Goods (11109 15/501 Suite A, Center Park Shopping Center, Aberdeen, NC 28315) from 11:00 am until 7:00 pm. Race day packet pick-up will be held Saturday, July 4 at Pinecrest High School from 6:00 am until 7:00 am
- The 5k begins and ends at Pinecrest High School
- On-line registration is available; paper registration is available as well
Have a blast at the Pinecrest Patriot 5k on Saturday, July 4!
The last featured race of the 2015 Spring Series will be the Run for the Buddies held on Saturday, May 9 outside of New Century Middle School in Cameron (1577 Union Church Road, Cameron, NC 28326). This race is part of the Buggy Festival held in downtown Carthage. The Run for the Buddies benefits Communities in Schools Moore County.
The 5k race will begin at 8:30 am. The course is an out and back course down a sloping country road. A Fun Run will begin the Run for the Buddies at 8:00 am. Free childcare is available during the race.
Tips from SRS
- Race day registration will be available on site (1577 Union Church Road, Cameron, NC 28326) beginning at 7:00 am. On line registration is available.
- Moore County students receive a $5 discount though paper registration.
Back for its seventh year, the ShamRock ‘N’ Roll Road Race will be held in Whispering Pines on Saturday, March 14. The race benefits the Public Education Foundation of Moore County.
The festivities kick off at 8:15 am with the Leprechaun Leap, a one-mile fun run. At 8:45 am there will be a Lucky Charms Costume Contest. The 5k will begin at 9:15 am and the 10k will start immediately after the 5k begins (around 9:20 am). This event is not pet or bike friendly.
New this year…the top three schools with the most participants will earn money for their school. The first place school will receive $750, the second place school will receive $450, and the third place school will receive $300. When you register please indicate what school you will be representing.
If you wish to get a head start on training the 5k course can be found here, and the 10k course can be found here.
Tips from SRS
- You may register on-line or complete a paper application. Late registrations will be accepted at packet-pick-up on Friday, March 13 from 6:00 pm until 8:00 pm at Dick’s Sporting Goods in Aberdeen (11109 Hwy 15/501 Suite A, Aberdeen, NC 28315) and on Saturday, March 14 from 7:00 am until 8:00 am at the race start (14 Hardee Lane, Whispering Pines, NC 28327).
- All current K-12 students and teachers in Moore County (public or private school) as well as members of Sandhills Striders are eligible for a discount (you must use paper registration to receive the discount)
- Parking information can be found here.
The ShamRock ‘N’ Roll Race is a family friendly event, after the race there will be awards and activities. See you soon!
The 34th annual Turkey Trot will take place on Saturday, November 22 in Pinehurst, NC. The race will begin and end at Camelot Park (90 Woods Road, Pinehurst, NC 28374). The Turkey Trot benefits the Foundation of FirstHealth.
This annual race begins with the one mile fun run at 8:30 am. The Half Marathon begins at 9:00 am, followed by the 10k and 5k at 9:30 am. This year there are new courses for the race; Half-Marathon map, 10k map, 5k map. The Turkey Trot will also feature a youth challenge, a discounted entry fee for school-aged children. All finishers in the youth challenge will receive a medal. The school with the most miles run in the Turkey Trot will get a trophy and a Rita’s Italian Ice party.
Tips from SRS
- On-line registration ends Thursday, November 20. Register on-line here.
- Packet pick up will be Friday, November 21 at Cannon Park in Pinehurst from 5:00-7:00 pm and on Saturday, November 22 at Cannon Park in Pinehurst from 7:00-8:45 am
SRS looks forward to seeing you at the Turkey Trot!
Start November on the right track with the Run to be Drug Free on Saturday, November 1st at Pinecrest High School (250 Voit Gilmore Lane, Southern Pines, NC 28387). The Run to be Drug Free benefits Sandhills Teen Challenge.
The 5k race begins and ends at the driveway of Pinecrest High Schools and winds around a closed course. Roads will be closed from 8:30 am until 10:30 am. The 1 Mile Fun Run will begin at 9:00 and the 5k at 9:30. An awards ceremony will follow the race and live music will be provided.
Tips from SRS
- Register on-line here. Race day registration will be available at Pinecrest High School on Saturday, November 1 from 8:00 am until 9:00 am
- Packet pick-up will be available Saturday, November 1 from 8:00 am until 9:00 am at Pinecrest High School
This will the the 3rd Annual Run to be Drug Free. SRS looks forward to seeing you there.
The 36th Annual Autumnfest was held on Saturday, October 4 in downtown Southern Pines. The feel of Autumn was in the air with perfect running weather. Over 250 participants showed up for the 5k and 1 Mile Fun Run. After the race there was an arts and crafts festival to enjoy, a kids bounce house, and a juggler to watch.
Geoffrey Washburn won the overall 5k with a chip time of 16:58.Geoffrey also won the 1 in 8k, the first Fall Series Race of 2014. Tegan Searle won the overall 5k for females with a chip time of 19:26. The course centered around downtown Southern Pines with gentle uphill slopes and downhill grades. For an updated list of all results click here.
The next race in the 2014 Fall Series will be MANNA in Motion on Saturday, October 11.
Autumfest is an annual arts and crafts fair held in downtown Southern Pines. There are several events for runners to enjoy during Autumnfest on Saturday, October 4 including a 5k, 1 Mile Fun Run, and Kids Foot Race. The event is held in Downtown Park (145 SE Broad Street, Southern Pines, NC 28387). This race benefits the Southern Pines Parks and Recreation Department.
The 5k race will begin at 9:00 am and will wind through downtown Southern Pines and horse country and back. The 1 Mile Fun Run will begin at 10:00 am. The kids foot races are free and will take place during the 5k awards ceremony. These foot races are for children aged 3-12. Registration for the foot races will be available race day morning.
Post race events will include a juggler and musical performances.
Tips from SRS
- Road closures will begin at 6 am and last until 12 pm. Affected roads are: Ashe Street and New York Avenue. For more information click here.
- For any additional information, including paper registration please contact Chris Wiley with the Southern Pines Parks and Recreation Department at 910-692-2463
- On-line registration is available here.
- Packet pick-up will be held at Downtown Park (145 SE Broad Street, Southern Pines, NC 28387) from 5:30-6:30 pm on Friday, October 3 and also from 8:00-9:00 am on Saturday, October 4.
This race is part of the 36th annual Autumfest in Southern Pines, this is a family friendly event and we would love to see you there!